Homemade Ricotta Cheese

homemade ricotta

Yes you read that right!  I’ve got a special little treat for you today.  Did you know it’s incredibly easy to make your own ricotta cheese right at home?  It’s quick, it’s delicious and you’ll likely never use store bought ricotta again.

Shopping List

4 cups of 3.25% (homogenized) Milk at room temperature
1/8 cup of lemon juice
1/4 tsp of kosher salt
Cheesecloth

Yield: Approximately 1 cup

Before you begin, measure out the lemon juice and salt so it’s ready to go when called for in the recipe.  Have a tight weaved metal strainer lined with 2 or 3 layers of cheesecloth, set over a large bowl (at least 4 cup capacity).

*Click on images for a larger view*

1. Poor the milk into a wide saucepan.

2. Heat the milk over HIGH stirring frequently, until it starts to become frothy and bubbly.  Remove from heat.  Be careful not to burn the milk.

3. Immediately stir in the lemon juice and salt, just to incorporate it.  You will see it starting to separate almost immediately.  Let it stand until you see white curds floating up to the top (2 or 3 minutes).

4. Carefully pour or ladle the mix into the cheesecloth lined, fine weave strainer and let it drain well over a large bowl.  You may need to gently move the cheese around to let all the liquid drain out.

5. In the end, you will end up with about 3 cups of yellow liquid which should be discarded.

Admire your kitchen savvy.  You’ve just made cheese!

Chill and store it in the fridge until ready to use.  It will keep up to a week.  Before serving, stir in a tablespoon of cream to loosen it up if you wish.  I prefer it as is.

Use it in your favourite dishes, as a garnish, or wow guests and serve it as a spread (make sure to tell them it’s homemade!).  Ricotta, strawberry and some fresh cracked pepper is always a nice, simple combination.

Eat and be cheesy!

Pin It

Comments

1. Pamela R says

This actually works and it truly tastes like ricotta? Baffling!! I have to try this! It would be such a cheap alternative for lasagna!!

I am so excited – I truly have been wanted to do this lately because someone at work let me try their mom’s homemade ricotta. Since then it has been a strong craving. This weekend I will definitely try. Feel free to link to the Success U Party at TheStuffofSuccess. I am also your newest Linky Follower. Have a terrific week! Athena

3. Karen of Little Red House Designs says

I have done this! It’s delish!! Thanks for the reminder to try it again.

4. Carla and Michael says

hi,jumped over from Made by you Monday. I love this idea, though I have to ask before I try it. 3.25% milk? I’ve only ever seen;Skim, 2% and whole milk in my stores. Could I use 2% or whole? Or where do you buy 3.25% milk? Thanks.

Thanks for popping over!

Homogenized or ‘whole’ milk is what I meant (I’ll update my post to reflect that 😉

2% just doesn’t have enough milk fat in it to work out properly. Hope that helps!

5. Home Designs by Amanda says

Thanks! I might try this and make lasagna with it :) Right now there is always whole milk in the house…with a one year old that still LOVES her bottle!

6. Sky Buffat says

Thanks for clarifying the 3.25%- figured it was whole, but I’m glad to know for sure! What a fab and simple recipe- can’t wait to try this out for lasagna. And my hubby will be thrilled to see some leftover whole milk in the fridge! :) Thanks for sharing and have a great rest of the weekend :)

7. Jess says

Found you on Creation Corner. I am going to have to try this. Thanks for sharing.
    Jess