Earl Grey Tea Cookies With Sweet Lemon Frosting

earl grey cookies

I love tea.  I love Earl Grey tea the most.  Maybe it’s the bergamot… maybe just the warmth.  But all tea drinkers can agree, there is nothing more soothing and comforting then a good cup of tea.

Taking it a step further, I made these delicious Earl Grey Tea Cookies with Sweet Lemon Frosting.  Even my husband who dislikes tea like nobody I’ve ever seen… loved them.  I’m still working on changing his mind on the tea drinking lol.

The secret of course, is loose leaf Earl Grey tea.  You may be thinking … ‘you want me to eat the tea leaves?’.  Yes.  Yes I do.  You will love it!  You may be tempted to break open an tea bag and use that in the recipe, but I’d like to stress going to a bulk foods store or a specialty tea shop and buying some fresh just for the recipe.  You’ll be happy you did… especially when you take them out of the oven and the scent of Earl Grey Tea fills the kitchen.

Cookie Ingredients

1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cups white sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 teaspoons fresh, loose leaf Earl Grey tea leaves

In a large bowl, cream together the softened butter and the sugar.  Once smooth, add the egg and combine well.  Measure the flour, salt, baking powder and tea leaves into another bowl.  Add the flour mixture to the butter / egg mixture a little at a time.  Mix until the dough is smooth and flour is fully incorporated.  Cover dough and chill in fridge for 1 hour before baking.

Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface and and cut into 2 inch rounds.  Place cookies on a lightly floured cookie sheet.

Bake in a 350F preheated oven on the centre rack for approximately 8 minutes (depending on the thickness and size).  Remove from oven when the surface of the cookies no longer looks ‘wet’.  Let them set on the cookie sheet for another 2 minutes before transferring to a cooling rack.

Frosting Recipe
1 cup of icing sugar
1-2 Tbsp water
1/2 tsp lemon extract

Add the lemon extract to the icing sugar first, then gradually add the water until your frosting is the desired consistency.  Frosting should be thick but spreadable.  Frost the cookies only once they are completely cooled.  Using the back of a spoon to frost the cookies works well.

All done.  Pour yourself a nice cup of tea and enjoy!  I think I’m going to go get one right now….

*Thanks for the inspiration Amy!

Comments

I make these biscuits all the time too-aren’t they scrumptious! I don’t ice them normally though so I will try that next time. Thanks for the idea.

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

2. Cathy camikula@bell.net says

Hi,
    Though I most definitely am a Tea Granny, I am not a fan of Earl Grey tea. I can’t really tell you why just that I find the taste has a bit of a bite – a bit bitter? a bit nutty? Don’t really know why.
    Would you tell me the pattern of your teacup, please. My Mother’s “good” china was that pattern and when she sold it and her “everyday” set about 15 or so years ago she kept a cup and saucer of the everyday set but not the “good” set. Mom passed away three years ago and I now have all of her teacup collection and having a cup & saucer of this pattern would complete it for me. I recognize it but can’t search for it without the name of the pattern.
    Thanks for you help,
    Cathy

3. Cathy camikula@bell.net says

Hi (Part 2)
    I just had the strangest thing happen. I knew the pattern and the company were no longer around but I that was all I remembered until just after I published my first comment. The company name is Shelley/Shelly but I still don’t remember the pattern name.
    Thanks again so much for any help you can give me.
    Cathy

Hi Cathy, the Shelley pattern is ‘Rose, Pansy, Forget-Me-Not’. Whether that is the actual pattern name… I’m not sure. But if you google it, you can find pieces being sold on Etsy and Ebay :) The tea cup is also known as the ‘dainty’ style because of it’s shape. I hope that helps you!

4. FeauxCajun says

I lovelovelove earl grey. And cookies. So THANK YOU for sharing!

(found your blog via the link party @ Making the World Cuter, hope you’ll stop by my blog as well if you have time! http://feauxcajun.com)

I immediately thought of my mom when I saw the Earl Grey portion of the title. She loves her tea. These look like they will be the winners for what I make for Mother’s Day. I pinned it and had it go to facebook. Thanks so much for sharing at Whimsy Wednesdays! If you don’t alreay, stop over and follow me on facebook and pinterest so you can see it when it goes up.

6. Terry says

Earl Grey is one of my favourites too. These look amazing and light. Thanks for sharing at our party this week.

7. Michele @ The Nest at Finch Rest says

I am a big time tea drinker and Earl Grey is my go-to daily favorite.

I only use loose leaf so won’t have a bit of problem finding any, haha.

Thanks for this wonderful post! I am definately going to try these delish looking cookies!!