Sunny Orange Sorbet

orange sorbet

I saw a great homemade sorbet recipe the other day.  It’s a flexible recipe allowing you to make it to suit your own tastes.  Just a little time and no fancy equipment or ingredients needed.  Perfect!  Here is my adaptation of the recipe, which I’m calling, Sunny Orange Sorbet!

Ingredients
1 cup white sugar
1 cup water
1 cup fresh citrus juice (I used one lemon, 2 large navel oranges)
1 Tbsp each lemon and orange zest

Add the sugar and water to a saucepan and heat on medium low, stirring occasionally until the sugar has completely dissolved.  Let the mixture cool (you can refrigerate it if you like).

Wash your lemon and oranges.  Microwave them for about 20 seconds.  This will help you extract more juice from them.  I used a citrus press to extract the juice from mine.  Strain any seeds (and pulp if you wish).  Mix in lemon and orange zest.

Pour half the syrup mixture and all the citrus juice into a glass or metal dish (I used a casserole dish) and taste to ensure it is sweet enough for your liking.  Add more or remaining syrup if needed.  I used a casserole dish.  The idea is to keep it in a thin layer so it freezes quickly.  After a couple hours, you can transfer it to a plastic container for better storage… if it lasts that long that is!

For a little extra ‘something’, you could add in some Tart & Sour to enhance the flavour.  I added some edible shimmering gold dust for a little pizzazz, although you can’t really see it in the photos.

The flavour of the sorbet reminded me of a non-dairy creamsicle.  One of my absolute summertime favourites!

Comments

1. Nicola says

This recipe sounds great and your pictures look even better! This would make the perfect summer dessert. :)

2. Seaweed and Raine says

Oooooo yummy! Your photos are gorgeous. My MIL does something like orange sorbet too… but she just peels and chopps the oranges and freezez them. Then she puts them through an attachement on her Champion juicer. Tastes unbelieveable!!! :)

3. Diane Balch says

I thought sorbet was hard to make…surprise. Please share this on my foodie friday party today.

4. Tiffany/MyCrowdedKitchen says

Thanks for linking up this deliciousness on Fabulous Friday. Have a great weekend!

5. Our House Story says

This looks like a perfect summer treat! I am pinning and will definitely be making on a hot summer day!

This sorbet looks delicious. I love how easy it is to make! Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday. I hope to see you at the next party!

Mmmmmmm! This sounds SO good; light, summery, and delicious!! Looks totally do-able too! Thanks for sharing at Shine on Fridays!

Thanks so much for linking up to Tuesday’s Tidbits @ Naptime Delights! I’m going to feature this recipe later today!

Sarah
    {http://www.naptimedelights.blogspot.com}

9. Six Sisters says

This looks delicious! We are so glad you joined our “Strut Your Stuff Saturday”. We love to see all of the great recipes and ideas!! Thanks and we hope to see you again next week! -The Sisters