I found a frame at the thrift store for a steal. It was marked up, but I gave it a coat of soft yellow paint and it was happy again. I also found some cork tiles at the craft store in the clearance aisle for a steal of a price because one of the tiles was broken on the corner. Woot!
I cut the cork with a straight edge to fit into the frame, from the front. I had to do it in two pieces since one cork tile wasn’t large enough. Using some hot glue, I secured it in place. Easy as pie
I used some longer pearly topped pins I had, spaced them out accordingly, and arranged my spools. My board had room to grow, so I used that space for some fusing and my scissors. I like using the cork and pins so you can rearrange things as needed.
If you have a lot of thread, you could do a grouping of cork frames. And of course, if your collection of spools shrinks, you can always use it as a message board in the future.