Easy DIY Thread Spool Rack

thread spool rack

Have you seen the prices of thread spool holders at the stores?  No way am I going to spend that much on some wooden contraption with no personality.  I can make my own.  And so can you!

I found a frame at the thrift store for a steal.  It was marked up, but I gave it a coat of soft yellow paint and it was happy again.  I also found some cork tiles at the craft store in the clearance aisle for a steal of a price because one of the tiles was broken on the corner.  Woot!

I cut the cork with a straight edge to fit into the frame, from the front.  I had to do it in two pieces since one cork tile wasn’t large enough.  Using some hot glue, I secured it in place.  Easy as pie :)

I used some longer pearly topped pins I had, spaced them out accordingly, and arranged my spools.  My board had room to grow, so I used that space for some fusing and my scissors.  I like using the cork and pins so you can rearrange things as needed.

If you have a lot of thread, you could do a grouping of cork frames.  And of course, if your collection of spools shrinks, you can always use it as a message board in the future.

Happy crafting!

Comments

1. Anonymous says

Ah, what a simple way to make one. I like how it can be used as a message board too. That is if I ever stop sewing!

2. Jeanette says

So pretty! Looks much cuter than the plain wooden one I got at Wally World. I think I might have room to hang one like this right above it. Now I have to go to the thrift store and find a frame!

3. CAS says

Super-cute & very clever idea! I was just thinking about buying one of the wooden ones, but maybe now I won’t!
    CAS

4. SweetPepperRose says

Creative thinking at its best! never thought about using cork – but I will now! thanks for sharing~
    JoAnn
    sweetpepperrose.blogspot.com

Amber, I love this and I’m SOOOO going to have my husband make me a giant one for my craft room! Thanks so much for stopping by Creative Thursday last week. I couldn’t do these parties without you. Can’t wait to see what you link up this week. Have a great weekend.
    Michelle

6. Christine says

LOVE IT!! and I WANT IT!!!! Please??

Thanks for sharing at The DIY Dreamer… From Dream To Reality!

This is such a great idea! I love that you can make your own for much cheaper than in the stores. Thanks for sharing at Showcase Your Talent Thursday!