Make Butter?

make butter

So I have this very dear friend… and occasionally (in a way a loving friend would do, well at least WE do) she pokes fun at how ridiculously DIY I can be and the random things I make and bake from scratch.  You see, she is not a particularly crafty girl (self proclaimed, but you should see how she can put a room together) and often jokes, “why do I need to be crafty when I have you?”  lol.  And of course she knows I will, because we are friends and she is a wonderful and thoughtful person!

Recently, after such a conversation, she joked with a sarcastic voice, “why don’t you make butter, Martha?”  My husband even got on board this time.  “Ha ha:…” I laughed in an equally sarcastic way.  But in my head I thought, why don’t I make butter?  So my dear friend, this post is for you!  And so is this,   : p !!!

It was recently my birthday and I got an awesome present.  Something I’ve been eyeing for years.  A pretty, shiny, functional, time saving present of awesomeness!  An Artisan Kitchen Aid mixer in ‘Pistachio’.  Yippee!!  That makes butter making a whole lot easier now doesn’t it.  Actually, it’s easy to make without a mixer too.  But I’m showing you this method because it’s very hands off, which is great with a little monkey running around.

All you need is 35% heavy cream and a mixer or food processor.  Using anything with less fat content will not yield the results you want.  In a clean bowl, add your cream* and using a whisk attachment, start it up.  I ran mine at a lower speed of 3.  You will see it start to thicken after a few minutes.

Once it reaches the whipped cream stage, keep going.  After a few more minutes, it will start to separate and you’ll hear it sloshing around.  Go and take a look… you now have butter!

Drain off the buttermilk (you can use this for other things).  I strained mine to be sure there were no lumps of butter in it and stuck it in the fridge.

Put the butter in cheesecloth or a thin, lint free kitchen towel and plunge it into an ice bath to rinse off the remaining buttermilk.  Squeeze the butter into a ball in the cloth to make sure the remaining liquid drains out.

Transfer it to a container to store in the refrigerator or, eat it right away!  If you like salted butter, you can pop it back in the mixer, sprinkle with a little salt and mix until incorporated.  I don’t put salt in when it’s in the mixer initially, as I use the buttermilk in baking and I prefer that to be unsalted.

So, not only do you get butter, you have buttermilk too.  If you like buttermilk as a drink, then have it along side a nice snack.  Or, put it in the fridge until you are ready to do some baking!

*I used 2 cups of 35% heavy cream, which yielded approximately 1 scant cup of butter.

Comments

ha! I made butter when i went on a field trip to a farm when i was younger. I remember it being a terrible experience because I had to use that churn by hand for so long! Gotta love a mixer!!!

2. the Sweetest Memory says

I had no idea, that is amazing and looks wonderful! Now if I can just get one of those awesome mixers! Found you on One Artsy Mama -Kari

there are few things tastier than homemade butter {unless you’re in charge of churning}! I love how you save the buttermilk and use it in baking, too. I love making things from scratch – I feel so accomplished when I make it myself :)

That’s exactly it, isn’t it Meme! The satisfaction you get when you put the time in and come out with something you made from scratch. Whether it be something simple like butter, or a decadent treat!

4. Danni Baird @ Silo Hill Farm says

Well how fun is that? I didn’t know that was where buttermilk came from! Saw you over at Hodgepodge Life….thanks for sharing this!

How fab is that!
    How jealous am I of your mixer!!
    I had no idea it was that easy to make butter.
    And, I have come across a few recipies that call for buttermilk, but I can’t get it where I live. So a double whammy of ‘what a great, easy, idea!’

6. Carri says

I love this… I’d love to make butter..how kewl is that… adding 35% heavy cream to grocery list…
    Thanks so much.. =)

Carri
    simplydonewright.blogspot.com

7. Lamb @ LambAround: Life with my Sexy Nerd says

WOW! I’m not crafty either, but this post has me thinking that making my own butter wouldn’t be too much of a challenge. I’m sharing this nifty idea on Pinterest :)

I have a weekly blog hop that is up right now (Not “Baaad” Sundays with LambAround…get it?) I’d love for you to link this up if you have a chance!

8. Laura @ cookiecrumbsandsawdust.blogspot says

Amber,

I love this! I’ve made butter before, but I did it with my preschooler, so it was just the simple shake-the-cream-in-small-container method. I can’t wait to try this more sophisiticated method. And I couldn’t help eying your beautiful minty color Kitchen-Aid. (Makes me want to trade-in my white one! :) )

I followed you over from the Mopping the Floor linky party. I would love if you stopped by my blog.

Thanks for sharing,
    Laura

9. Jane@Cottage at the Crossroads says

I love the color of your mixer, but more importantly, I love what you have made with it! I had no idea that you could make butter so easily and quickly with a stand mixer. I have my grandmother’s churn and remember helping her churn butter when I was a little girl. I have one of her butter molds so I am going to make some butter soon to put in the mold.

10. Patricia Purcell says

I get teased by my family for making so many things from scratch. I bet the butter turned out yummy!

Thanks for linking the butter up to TheStuffofSuccess. I love making butter with my kids. We do it the really hard way by shaking and shaking for a really long time! I will definitely have to do this (borrow my mother in law’s mixer). Thanks Athena

12. Marilyn says

WOW, I have got to try this.. Looks like a lot of fun.. LOVE the mixture color.. This is awesome.. I am officially a happy follower here and would LOVE for you to please link this to my Pin’Inspirational party I have happening today please..? The link is http://www.theartsygirlconnection.com.. Thanks SO much in advance.. wishing you a beautiful evening.. xo Marilyn

13. Bismah Abdelgawad says

Great post!!! Just yesterday I was thinking it would be great to be able to make my own butter. I thought about it for some time and thinking it would be a difficult process I shrugged it off. Now I see this post and know that I can at least give it a try.
    Thanks so much for helping me get my inspiration back.
    If I succeed at this I will be sure to mention you in my post.
    Bismah @