Candy Filled SMASH Cupcakes!

smash cupcakes

Years ago when my husband and I were planning our wedding, we really wanted to have a ‘smash’ cake as our wedding cake.  Well, that didn’t work out as we ended up getting a great package deal at our reception venue which included the cake… so there just wasn’t the need.  But I’ve kept that smash cake in the back of my mind ever since just waiting for the right occasion to make one.  Or at least, try!

Now that little Foster’s 2nd birthday is approaching in October, I thought it would be fun to give him…. the smash cake.  It should fit right in with this destructive phase he seems to be entering!  But before diving into a full sized cake, I thought it best to try on a smaller scale first.  Enter… smash cupcakes.

I decided to use some chocolate wafers and candy melts.  Chocolate for the bottom of my cupcake, blue and white melts for the top.

I melted the blue first in a clean, dry bowl, 30 seconds at a time in the microwave, then stirred for 30 seconds.  I added just a wee bit of shortening to make it smoother.

The mould I used was actually just the protective liner from a cupcake cake pan.  I just washed it and made sure it was thoroughly dried.  I spooned the candy melts into each mould and swirled them to coat the mould so that it would be hollow.

I added some white candy melts before pouring each additional mould so they would get progressively lighter in colour.  Although, like this, they look like blue boobies.  Yes, I said it.  But I know you were all thinking it!  I let them chill in the fridge for a bit before turning them out onto a cloth.  They fell right out of the mould.

Next I did the chocolate cup part of the mould using the same method.  I coated them twice to be sure they would be strong enough.  These were a little trickier because of all the ridges.  I had one stick to the mould and had to redo it.

Tee hee… now for some fun!  Fill that cup with an assortment of goodies!  I used yogourt covered raisins, pink popcorn and various candies.  But hey, nothing says you can’t fill them with raisins, craisins or banana chips!  Party mix or pretzels are a great option too and really inexpensive if you want to do a lot.  Salty and sweet together is always a fun combo.

Pop on the top.  You can seal the cup closed by adding a little more melted candy melts along the inside of the top before you set it on, or just let it rest there.  The ridges on top worked out perfect for some colourful confetti.  Only one thing is left…

SMASH IT!  Like a candy filled chocolate piñata!  What a fun surprise to see those sweet treats spill out.  Really hope I can pull off a full size smash cake for Foster’s birthday!

Other options for decorating could include, dusting the chocolate cup with cocoa powder or icing the top with cupcake frosting and sprinkles.  Enjoy!
*See the full sized, cake version I made here.

Comments

1. Amy - while wearing heels says

Oh my goodness, that is ADORABLE. Love the concept. I also adore your pinterest title picture.

This is such a fun idea for a kids party! Even though the making of the treat is for adults only since boobies will be on the brain!

Are the sprinkles somehow stuck on the top or do you just sprinkle them over the dried chocolate loosely?

LOL Janine! The sprinkles are just sitting on top. If they were round ball type confetti sprinkles, they would probably have ‘rolled’ off. I was thinking dust on shimmer powder would be super fun on them to… just for that extra touch!

3. Nicola says

I’ve never seen anything like this before! What a fantastic and unique idea. Can’t wait to give it a try. Pinned :)

4. Heidi Fowler says

What a fun idea! I’m having a party this weekend. I may just have to try this. I’m hosting a linky party “One Creative Weekend” at OneCreativeMommy.com. I’d love for you to visit and link up this idea and/or anything else you’d like to share.

I have never heard of a smash cake! Your take on this is awesome! I bet the cupcakes would work great for the party if you didn’t get the cake to work out…but something tells me you will. 😉

6. Mary Ryan says

These are great! Not sure I would have the patience to do a whole batch of them for a party but the idea of a smash cake is now infinitely intriguing……

7. Sarah says

I’m new to your site – and I just love this fun idea! If I had found it sooner, it would be a great favor gift for my son’t birthday party on Friday! Must get a new cupcake pan and keep the liner :) Visiting from DIY Dreamer! Sarah @ dwellonjoy.com

What a fun idea to fill it with candy and smash it!!! I actually just bought that mold from Michaels but haven’t used it yet!!! Thanks for the great idea!!!

9. Christine says

OMG!!! This is fabulous!!! They look to beautiful to smash!!

Thanks for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!!

Wouldn’t this be an interesting replacement to the classic one year old smash cake idea? It would have to be used with older children, but what birthday girl or boy wouldn’t want to smash a cupcake to reveal a bunch of yummy candy inside. Great job reusing the plastic liner for the mold. Very creative thinking!

Amber,
    These have got to be the cutest idea yet! I can see these at any birthday party. Pinning this :) Thanks for sharing at Creative Thursday each week. I appreciate YOU! Can’t wait to see what you link up next :)
    Michelle

Hey there,
    I’m making a giant cupcake pinata using a silicone mould for the chocolate shell. I’ve never done it before and after a search on google, tempering chocolate looks a bit tricky and could turn outexpensive with the mistakes I could make. I was thinking of using wilton candy melts like wilton and using oil based colouring to colour but they seem to be used in cake pops only and I was worried the melts wouldn’t harden enough to smash. What brand did you use and did it smash as well as chocolate easter eggs do?

Hi Patricia,
      I’ve used wilton brand candy melts and generic brand ones from my local bulk food store. Candy melts worked great for doing the smash cakes and cupcakes. I found as long as the completed pieces were stored in a cool dry place, they held up great.

When people use candy melts for coating cake pops, they tend to add a little bit of shortening to the melts to make them runnier and smoother, which helps when coating the cake pops so they do not get lumpy. The thing with adding shortening is that it will make the finished coating softer. So for the pinata, try to avoid using too much shortening, or any if possible. It will give you a harder finish.

I hope that helps!