DIY Mattress Protector for Leaky Toddlers

mattress protector

Recently, I did a guest post over at Saved By Love Creations for a quick and inexpensive project.  Now I’m going to share it with all of you, just in case you missed it!

Often, we create out of necessity.  Having children usually kicks that into overdrive, especially babies and toddlers.  I know all of you mothers are nodding your heads in agreement.

We very recently transitioned our 20 month old son to his big boy bed.  Foster is very tall (like his Mom & Dad) and could escape his crib.  Needless to say, it was time to switch!

We put his bed together, popped in the new mattress and made up the bed for the night.  It was then that I realized I didn’t have a protector for the mattress.  I thought… “he should be fine for one night… he probably wont leak his diaper”…. wrong!  First night and the mattress was christened.  Gah… I should have known better.

The next day, I made a trip to my local dollar store to get some supplies.  A 30×30 inch blanket from the baby section, and a flannel backed vinyl tablecloth from the kitchen aisle.  I couldn’t resist the cupcakes!  I was now armed with everything I needed to make my own, $2 mattress protector.  Yes!  $2!  And even better, this project took only 15-20 minutes to complete.  A do-able nap time project indeed.  Here’s how!

Spread out the table cloth and lay the blanket out over top of it.  Cut out the table cloth so it is an inch or so larger then the blanket, all the way around.  I had enough table cloth left over to make a second mattress protector.  It’s always good to have a back up when one is in the wash.

Pin the back side of the blanket and flannel side of the table cloth together, folding under the table cloth so it ends up with a finished looking edge.

Sew the… wait… take a few minutes to fix your broken sewing machine :(  Luckily, I was a repair technician in a past career!  Not of sewing machines mind you, but I figured it out!

Sew the fabric together all the way around.  I used blue thread so you could see what I was doing, but you may want your thread to blend in.  In the end, it’s going under the bedding, so nobody will really see it.

I added extra stitching in a grid pattern across the fabric so that it wouldn’t shift or bunch up while on the bed or in the wash.

Done!  A crinkle free, soft mattress protector for your toddlers bed.  The table cloth side will keep things dry, the blanket side will absorb any leaks, keep the pad from shifting under the bedding and make it softer to lay on.  (Use it blanket side up).

This would also be great to take on an overnight trip to slip under the bedding.  I’m sure your friends / relatives would appreciate it!

For washing, I recommend cold wash, hang to dry.  Remember, sunshine is the best bleach.

Comments

1. Hopeful1 says

This is genius! I have a leaky toddler and wow am I tired of washing entire sets of bedding. Seriously, LOVE LOVE LOVE this!
    – Hope :o)

This is awesome! I need to make one of the for our pack and play – it never fails, we put our ten month old in there and his diaper leaks!
    So happy I found this post!
    Thank you!!!
    Rhiannon at beingmomme.blogspot.com

This is an awesome idea. I’m not sure that tablecloths like that are available here. I’ll be popping into the £1 shop to look though. And pinning this so I remember how!

Thank you!

4. Tara @ Tales of a Trophy Wife says

Great idea! As the mother of bed wetters, here’s another tip. My boys still occasionally (a few times a year) wet the bed until middle school. I had to use the plastic sheets on the mattress, but they were noisy and would make the boys all sweaty. I would put the plastic sheet, then a regular mattress cover, and then the regular sheet on top. They slept comfortably and it protected my mattress.

5. Sparkle and Co says

Great idea!!! My toddler is nappy (diaper) free for few months now. At night, he wears nappies but sometimes, he wet his bed… That what I need thanks! What did happen to your sewing machine?

I’m now a new follower (GFC)

Ahh… well, my sewing machine had a TON of thread tangled up inside of it on the shaft that controls the movement of the arm and needle. It wrapped around a shaft in there that the arm mounted on, and wouldn’t allow the needle to move up and down any longer because it was on a severe angle! I had to dismantle it a bit to get the jammed up thread out blah blah blah lol.

okay – this is GENIUS!!!!

I hope you will consider hopping on over and uploading a photo of this into SewSet, a new on-line sewing directory. This way others will be able to find this amazing project in the tutorials, and link back to your incredible site!

– Jess
    Sewset.com

7. The Bean Sprout Notes says

Another great idea! Does it tend to shift during the night? (I have a very squirmy sleeper)

8. Cheerios and Lattes says

What a great idea! I would love to invite you to share this on Saturday Show and Tell: (www.cheeriosandlattes.com/saturday-show-tell-20/). I know that my readers would appreciate this and some of your other posts. Thanks and have a great weekend.
    -Mackenzie

9. Nancy says

Such a great idea I have to be one of your followers! Can’t wait to see what you will come up with next. Consider checking out my simple ideas over at dosmallthingswithlove.blogspot.com.

Nancy

10. Marie Ellen Gaudet says

Your photo’s and clear explanation are appreciated. I have 6 rescued dogs of all ages and a few have bladder/kidney issues. This practical and economical idea you have is a wonderful help to “us.” Thank you for taking the time to share and put this together. Very gratefully, Meg, Eastern Canada, Prince Edward Island.

Accessing games region specific games can also be achieved by an IP change.
    This is the Number 1 location for Puffins cheat in gta the UK.
    Playstation 3 games under development and may be available within the next few months after the release of the console are listed below:
    . Despite that, the Insurance Information Institute (III) estimates that about
    14% of drivers in the U. The Online portion of the game will
    also benefit from an added bandwidth as well as performance
    improvement. Final Fantasy was way ahead of its peers and set
    a really high standard for its subsequent titles in the series.

Firing guns is one more new option adopted by the game.
    It would be great to be identified as the stealthy comic relief of the team
    without developers needing to tell you any specifics of that
    avatar. While you’re playing, just fly over the ocean and marvel at how gorgeous it is and how the waves
    come in. Physical aspect of the game and players personality traits are extremely important factors in players development.

Which usually Cruel Purposes character have you been? And how intense is your loyalty to
    pizza? Do you know what your favorite breakfast every
    day food states about a person?

These are just some of the apparently endless array of questions
    that may be answered with the thousands of on the web personality quizzes, most recently made viral simply by Buzzfeed.

A long time before Buzzfeed, best quiz website though, these quizzes were a staple associated with teen plus women’s mags, catering the insatiable being
    thirsty to discover and categorize ourselves. And as Standing recently
    pointed out, the most popular Ny Times article of 2013 was in fact a quiz written by
    an inwendig.

But age range ago, Socrates described the fundamental
    human impetus to know thyself — a fundamental drive that individuals all need to
    explore and understand ourselves. Now, with a quiz to inform
    us almost everything we could possibly want to know regarding
    ourselves (and things all of us never wished to know), in the Internet age,
    our real desire might be to categorize thyself.

“We like to think the world will be categorize-able, inch Emma Roller wrote within Slate. “On the dark
    side associated with human character, this desire to simplify the planet is one justification for bias of all kinds;
    on the lighting side, it makes lists super
    fun. A lot more so much simpler when you can lump people into different containers!

Psychologists have recommended that the quizzes may cater to a need to reaffirm the stories we all tell ourself about ourselves, our internal narrative.

“It reinforces a sense of ourself, whether or not it has any kind of legitimacy delete word, ” mass media psychologist Robert Simmermon informed the Huffington Post in February. “We know
    decades literal, yet we hold on maybe a little secret portion of ourselves
    that hopes it is true. ”

But if knowing which Pretty Little Liar or traditional Jimmy Consume World music you are is not doing enough to build up your own sense of self, try an online personality quiz which is based in actual psychological analysis. You may really learn a advantageous thing or even two about yourself (taking the results having a grain associated with salt, associated with course).

Have a look at these seven research-based on the web quizzes beneath for a small dose of self-knowledge (and perhaps, validation).

Are you within love?

So you’re in a new relationship and you can’t prevent thinking about your own significant other — but could it be really love? Problem of adore is one which is baffled and preoccupied numerous poets, performers and romantics of all forms, and even psychologists who research human human relationships and sexuality haven’t come to a good functioning definition. But there is 1 test, developed by University of Maryland psychiatrist Sandra Langeslag and the girl team, that does a pretty good job associated with assessing the particular behavioral, emotional, cognitive, plus physical “symptoms” of being within a state of romantic love (which entails both passion and attachment).

Take Langeslag’s 20-question to discover to tell you if your relationship is romantic love. To qualify as this kind of love, you will need to score high on both passion and attachment.

How mindful are you?

mindfulness

“You are usually introduced to some group of people. Right after shaking hands and swapping names, you realize you weren’t
    really hearing and have no clue what their particular names are usually.

Problem? If it really does, you might have a tendency toward spaciness plus distraction — and you can probably benefit from bringing a little more mindfulness into your daily life. Figure out how mindful (or mindless) you might be with this easy, eight-question True/False quiz from your Mindful Management Institute will help you determine how mindful (or mindless) you are inside your everyday life. Identifying your score is simple: The more True’s you end up with, the particular less conscious you are.

Just how emotionally intelligent are you?

2 women fighting

Think you are able to tell the between concern and surprise? You might really be surprised with how hard it is to study others’ facial expressions, an art that’s essential measure of consideration and sympathy. Try a face recognition to discover from the University or college of Ca, Berkeley’s Greater Good Science Center to test your aptitude on this marker of emotional intelligence.

If your score can be low, avoid read into it too much — while the questions is a good indication of your capability to read the face expressions more, it’s not the only real measure of psychological intelligence. Things like self-awareness, psychological regulation, and social skills also come into play, according to psychologist Daniel Goleman.

What are your defining personality traits?

Can your character be summed up after answering forty questions? You may not want to believe that you’re that easy to figure out, but one character test professes to split the personality code along with one simple measurement.

The “You Just Get Me” test, created by professional psychologists and suggested by the Nyc Times, gives you a thorough evaluation of your character traits after answering 40 questions. Even better, you’ll get a personality “bubble
    chart” exposing which attributes you possess the majority of and least strongly.

How mentally well are you?