Arctic {Ice} Wreath

Ice Wreath

Since we are getting cooler in temperatures and closer to Christmas, I wanted to share an inexpensive project for all my fellow northern dwellers.  If it gets below freezing in the winter where you live, you can do this project!  It’s a fun one for kids and adults.  You can use simple things from your backyard to decorate it, or raid your craft supplies for a little ‘extra’.

You may be thinking, ok, it’s a ring of ice.  Why do I need to follow a tutorial to see how to make a ring of ice?  Because of the tips IN the tutorial.  That and all the loving care I put into making this tutorial for my readers.  Really.  Read it… it will ooooze off the screen at you.

You will need a form that has a hole in the centre.  I am using my bunt cake pan.  You could use an angle food cake pan, or for a larger wreath, a serving platter with the well in the centre.  If you’re really crafty, you can just make a form to suit your needs.

Optional, some filler for your wreath.  However, if you get a crack in your wreath, the filler will help hold it together.  twigs from the yard or sprigs of faux floral stems work great.

I also used a few frozen cranberries I had.  I put a few cranberries in the bottom, then some sprigs of greenery and a dash of gold glitter.

Find something to weigh down the stems, otherwise when you pour in the water, they will float.  I filled a few sandwich bags with ice and set them on top.  Next, pour a little water into your wreath mould.  Enough to freeze some of the filler, not enough to touch the bags of ice sitting on top.  Otherwise, they will freeze to the wreath.

*Note:  The water you use is going to affect the clarity of your ice.  You can use tap water, which will give you milky / cloudy white ice.  You can use filtered water and then boil it a couple times to remove some of the impurities, this may give you clearer ice depending on the quality of your water supply.  If you want crisp, clear ice like glass, I would recommend distilled water.  You can buy it cheaply at the grocery / drug store, or if you are patient, you can make some.  I’ve done it before.  It takes a long time….

In this tutorial, I am using regular tap water since that is what most people will have best access to.  I want you to see how it will look with tap water, being cloudy white.

Make some room in your freezer.  Move over popcicles and buns!  If it’s super cold where you live, just stick it outside to freeze.

Once the water has started to freeze, pull off the bags of ice weighing down the filler and add more water to cover the filler.  Return to the freezer.

Now that it’s completely frozen, invert the mould onto a towel or something with a little padding.  Let the wreath fall out of the mould on it’s own.  Don’t twist the mould or run it under hot water.  Doing this could cause it to crack and we don’t want that any more then whats going to happen naturally.  You could give it a tap here and there to encourage it if it takes a while.

Tie some strong, wide ribbon or a strip of fabric onto your wreath and hang it on the front door to wow and greet your guests!  Is that not stunning??  Who wouldn’t love to see this when they knock on your door for that holiday party you’re hosting.

If it messes up and breaks, just thaw it out and refreeze it again.  No big commitment!  If the temperature starts to warm up, either let it melt or store it in the freezer, in the mould you used.

See?  I told you this tutorial would ooooze loving care :)

Comments

1. Stephanie Michaels says

This is beautiful! I will be making on this year. I would love for you to share it on Super Sweet Saturday!
    Stephanie
    swtboutique.blogspot.com
    Have a great weekend.
    Those cranberries really pop, huh.

2. Nicole @ WonkyWonderful says

This is really beautiful and a nice change from the traditional wreaths. Unfortunately, I don’t live in an area that I will ever be able to make one. Lovely photos :)

3. Little Vintage Cottage says

Beautiful! And I’m glad I took the time to read your tutorial like you suggested… I would have never thought of the stuff floating!! LOL!

Tania

Fab-You-Lous!! This would make a GREAT treat for the birds in the winter also if filled w/ things THEY like to nibble on. Cranberries, orange slices, apple chunks, etc. I think I may make a ring for the bunnies also! What a beautiful treat, after your guests leave, hang it or lay it out back. Thanks so much for sharing!!!! kweenbee_612@yahoo.com

5. Mariel says

Dang, where do you live?? It must be so cold, if you can even consider making a wreath like that! I love it, so creative! I’m sure there are a few week in Utah that I could probably pull it off. I would love to have you stop by ‘Or so she says…’ today and share some of your great ideas with my readers! The ‘Your Great Idea’ link party runs every Sat through Tuesday. Hope to see you there! http://www.oneshetwoshe.com

* Also, starting tommorrow, we’ve got a great giveaway going on with over $500 in prizes!

6. Lauren @ My Wonderfully Made says

This is SO pretty! We usually have cold enough winters here that these types of things last a long time outside, LOL! I made little ones using tin cans last year and had them along the walkway . . . until the squirrels to to them and discovered the berries inside!

7. Zuni, Chickadee Home Nest says

Hi, Neighbor (at Coastal Charm :)) Your beautiful wreath caught my eye immediately–it’s BEAUTIFUL!! I will certainly keep this idea in mind, though I’ll be hoping for such a mild winter that it won’t work LOL. Very creative!! ~Zuni

8. SwedishCorner ~ DownUnder...Pernilla says

Awesome, that is something we would do back home in Sweden! Greetings from Australia ~Pernilla

9. Christine says

OK, this is GENIUS and GORGEOUS!!! I want one!!!!!!!! WOW!

Thanks so much for sharing this at The DIY Dreamer.. From Dream To Reality!

10. If Youve Seen My Mind...Id Love It Back says

This is a really cool idea! I struggle to find quick, not-dead-and-brown-in-a-month decorations for my front doorway. I really like it cloudy, actually, as it makes it really visually interesting. Thanks for sharing! I just discovered your blog and look forward to reading more!

Oh my! This is so beautiful! I am soooo going to make this this winter…..
    (not quite cold enough yet, but it will be…..!!
    Thanks you so much for sharing this fabulous idea! I’m pinning…..!!!

Amber,
    This wreath is beautiful! I would love to make one for my door but I’ll have to wait until the temperature stops jumping up and down 15 degrees every other week. Thanks so much for linking up to Creative Thursday. Can’t wait to see what you share this week! Have a wonderful week.
    Michelle

13. Jessie Lauver says

And on the day or night you host a Special Holiday event. Have a bunch of these made up ahead and set them out along a walkway, patio, porch … and add a candle to the center hole or even one of the small battery op tea light from the dollar store.
    They welcome your guests like runway lights to a special event! And no need to clean up they just melt away! ;)

14. Kristi says

I just found your blog today, and I absolutely love it! Thanks for sharing!
    Unfortunately, I don’t think the other people in my apartment building would appreciate me hanging this on my door… LOL!

The stated income must be within reason for the job.

Decde first which kind of career you would prefer to do annd then work from there.
    Bear in mind, folks get only if they discover trusted companies
    and good offers.