A touch of industrial, a whole lot of nostalgia, and unmistakably full of character and charm, this warm glowing Edison bulb found the perfect home amidst a lamp born out of recycled decor items.
As part of my stash busting endeavour, I’ve been trying to use up bits of things here and there to fuel my creations instead of buying new supplies. All I needed for this project was a beautiful Edison inspired bulb.
Meet the subjects: An ugly green lamp, one very tired floral decoration, and a can of spray paint that had never been used. A shame…because now that I’ve used it, I want to spray EVERYTHING ‘oil rubbed bronze’!
In addition to these items, I used a lamp shade harp, some leftover bits of wire from when I made a brooch bouquet and the plastic sleeve of a cheap pen. The pen part will make sense shortly.
First step was to remove the light socket and get the harp fitting onto the lamp base. By the way, if you want to try this project, make sure your light socket and cord are going to blend with the colour you decide to spray your lamp. Don’t spray paint the lamp socket area.
I removed the floral piece from my birdcage and set it atop the harp to see how it would work. It sat about 1.5 inches lower then I wanted. Dilemma…. here is where the pen sleeve came in! I cut down the plastic pen sleeve to the length I needed, and then placed it over the screw atop the harp. Set the cage back on top and it was now the perfect height.
To make the cage ‘shade’ stay in place, I wrapped the top with a bit of wire, bringing it all to a point on the inside of the cage, pointing down. The tail end of the wire bits all fed down into the pen sleeve on the top of the harp. That is how the cage would stay in place. To make the pen sleeve fit in better with the style of the lamp, I wrapped a coil of wire around it (not pictured). Finally, I added two bits of wire leading from the harp to the sides of the cage to keep the ‘shade’ from teetering (see below).
I wrapped the lamp socket and cord with aluminum foil to protect them and gave it a couple coats of the oil rubbed bronze spray paint.
I could hardly wait for the sucker to dry so that I could test it out! In went that beautiful bulb! The only trouble I am having is trying to decide on it’s new home. I want it in every room!
I’ve got another ‘shade’ ready to roll for a smaller version of this lamp, in the form of an old, wire cutlery caddy. I think this cylinder filament bulb would work out perfectly!