A teacup, streetlamp and a bench.

teacup fairy garden

I’m sure you’ve all seen a miniature garden or two out there.  If not, then you really should Google ‘fairy garden’ or ‘miniature garden’.  There are even books on fairy gardening.  Really.  These sweet, adorable little scenes can capture the imagination, and make you wish you were wee enough to jump into them!

Mini gardens were a big inspiration when I made my winter scene in a book, and when I made the streetlamp snow globe.  This time, and just in time for Mother’s Day, a mini garden, bench and a streetlamp all find a home in this sweet pink teacup.  And it’s all for Mom.

Some scenes are very elaborate, others are simple.  This one was very easy and didn’t take a lot of time.  The bottom of the teacup has a full layer of pebbles for drainage, potting soil that had been slightly packed, then I stuffed it full of very low lying, hardy, and easy to grow plants.  Hens and Chickens are great choices too.  I swear, you could take those things, pull them out of the dirt, throw them on the sidewalk for a week, replant them and they would just keep going!

I had some moss growing in my backyard.  Perfect…. just right to resemble ‘grass’.  Placing a few wee pebbles around the edges and any naked spots finished it off.  As you can see in the image above, I put the taller plants at the back to give it some height.

In order to get the streetlamp and bench to stay in place, I hot glued a short piece of dowel to the bottom of each of them, to act as a ‘spike’ to keep them stable.

Now all it needs is a little mist here and there, and an audience!

Want to make your own miniature garden?  There are so many things you can use and create for your scene.  Here are some ideas!

Half shell for a birdbath (upside down)
Marble on a small wooden candle cup for a gazing ball
Wee stones for filler or a walkway
Small bird house as a regular house
Mirror shard as water
Make flower pots from wooden candle cups
Little fence from popsicle sticks or stir sticks
Twigs or small branches as ‘logs’
Sand for a walkway
Sticks cut into thing rings as walkway / path
Jewellry or floral wire to create a trellis

Comments

1. Mel says

Ohhh….what a brilliant idea!
    I have a bowl or two that would make a lovely little fairy garden–and miniatures I snagged a few holidays ago. Oh–I can see FUN happening with a small child helping…… Brilliant!

2. Kim says

Found you through My Uncommon Slice of Suburbia. This is fantastic, and so full of whimsy. I adore it. I am going to head out to the thrift store this weekend and round up some cups for my girls. They are really into growing seed this year and I think having their own little “garden” to take care of would be perfect for them. Thanks so much for sharing and all of the ideas to get us started.
    Kim@reposhture.blogspot.com

This is such a super cute idea! I love it.

Today, I am starting a social media blog hop with 5 other ladies I met at Snap Conference. Each week features a new social media link up starting with Facebook today. I hope you will come over to link up at Just Us Four!

4. Krista R says

This is too cute!! I’m brainstorming if I could put one together for my mom before Mother’s Day!

5. Susan @ Oh My! Creative says

Thanks for linking up to Whimsy Wednesday! Your project has been featured this week!

Also, you can add your project {or any project} to my website. I feature them on my main slider on the home page…follow this link to submit your project!

Be sure to stop by and grab a button…

What a brilliant idea-I love it! I love it so much I’m featuring it at this week’s Say G’day Saturday Linky Party. Thanks so much for sharing it!

Best wishes,
    Natasha in Oz

I’m not that much of a online reader to be honest but your blogs really nice, keep it up!

I’ll go ahead and bookmark your website to come back later on.
    Cheers

8. Kathy says

I know it said you had pebbles in the bottom ‘for drainage’ but don’t you also need a hole in the bottom of the cup? I couldn’t figure out the best way, since I’d imagine drilling a hole could possible shatter the entire thing. I’m not much of a gardener, but thought these ideas for small containers were so cute, but I wondered about that drainage hole. Thanks!