A hot disaster in plaster.

If you’ve been following along the past while, you know I’ve been trying realllly hard to use up my existing craft supplies, rather then purchase new items.  I have so much already.  Recently, as I rummaged through my craft wardrobe, I was confronted with a big ole tub of powdered, plaster of paris.  All sorts of typical plaster of paris crafts go through my mind…. moulds of a child’s hand or feet, making chalk, sculpting blah blah blah.  But I’m thinking more about using it as a coating or dip.

You may have seen some plaster dipped items previously around the web.  But I quite like this idea and thought they warranted a little time in the spotlight.  Specifically, dipped faux flowers.

But let’s just think of the other posibilities for a moment…. you could dip skeleton keys, vessels, doilies, baskets, origami creations, shells and random trinkets.  Yes.  I do believe this could be a whole world of fun.

Let’s begin!

Prepare all of the items you would like to dip and make sure you have somewhere to hang them or set them to dry.  Plaster of Paris dries very quickly, so it is essential you have everything set out.  Prepare your plaster of Paris according to direction on the packaging, careful not to stir to vigorously, avoiding the creation of bubbles.  If you would like to tint your plaster, add some coloured tempera powder to the water, before mixing it into the plaster of Paris.  I aimed for mint green.

Start dipping!  Make sure you get your item well coated.  Once it’s dry, you won’t be able to dip it again (trust me it just does weird things).

Let your items dry thoroughly.   Hey… I know it’s a weird setup, but it worked for me lol.  I’m using a plastic container with a rod through it.  I hung some inside, and placed others in the top with the stem poking through the holes.

I decided to give my dipped flowers a little something extra by brushing the edges of the petals with a mix of gold and copper paint.

How pretty all together in a bowl, vase or like this on a spray painted, grapevine wreath.  Love!

Additional tips!

• If dipping flowers, stick with white or cream coloured.  Vibrant coloured flowers may bleed colour into your plaster mix.
  • Don’t double dip once your item is dry as dipping again will cause the first layer of plaster to suck all the moisture out of your second dip attempt, leaving you with a lumpy, thick finish that dries uber fast.
  • Styrofoam doesn’t dip well.  The plaster doesn’t adhere to it.
  • Flexible, non porous items don’t work well, as the plaster will crack if it bends.
  • Work quickly dipping before the mixture sets too much.  Once it gets to the consistency of thicker mud, it’s difficult to get an even coat.  You will have about 3-5 minutes of working time to dip before it sets to the ‘mud’ stage.
  • Do not put leftover plaster down the sink.  It will dry in the pipes and clog them up leaving you in a world of hurt ($$$).  Dispose of leftover plaster in the garbage.

Comments

1. A Thrifter in Disguise says

OMG that is so gorgeous! Seriously, people would pay good money for that. And on the wreath?! STUNNING! I need to try this. What a good idea! -Kristen

Kaarin December 27, 2012 Oooh thanks for the swatches I can’t wait for these to hit my stores. I’ve already started a list of lippies I want to add to my collection! I’m sure to purchase these before the Vivid Collection as they are more work-friendly/appropriate.

samalah cam zu & kawan2 lain…mama tukang shortlist kan nama mix match drpd buku2 nama islam, ayah tukang approve…masa anak pertama excited sblm keluar lg dah bbrp kali ammend nama & kuar je dah finalize trus nama sarah safiyyah…tp bila dah kedua, tkeluar awal plak tu…smpi dekat 2 minggu blom finalize/daftar nama syimir mikail… :)

OMG just for the heck of it, buoyed by this miracle of lightning fast cyst birth, I looked up sebaceous cyst on google, then clicked on “images” at the top and found the most amazing pictures of totally awesome stuff! Try it, it’s amazing. Lots of kewl pics to use as your avatar too!

olha ali a minha Eduarda de vampira!! como estás linda?onde está o Gabriel?acho que deve ser o que está de lado não sei bem e tu Gabriel? beijinhos e sucessoNão me deixem ficar mal…portem-se bem e sejam bons alunos!!!ok? beijinhos da Educadora Sílvia

50 GrimShame on me? I hope you mean shame on the journalist. And I use that term loosely. When I post articles from the Advance, it’s not to say this is the truth. It’s to say look at the stupidity of the people reading this that might actually believe.That aside, I do believe SI will be the last place to where sellers will capitulate. SI has always been a very desirable place to live in the 5 boroughs because of the price and the good public schools in comparison to the rest of NYC. I’ll leave the segregation out of it.

Pachu Heras ya tiene rival en octavos. Será el local Vitor Silva, un pibe de 16 años (95), que hoy ganó su primer partido y su primer punto ATP. El jueves 15 cumplirá 17 pirulos!!!!.Vamos Pachu!!!!

This is great! This will be like a can of spray paint. If it doesn’t move it gets covered. I have to try this.
    I guess the real secret is being sure it drains and dries correctly. Thanks for sharing.

Wishes for tasty dishes,
    Linda
    Tumbleweed Contessa

3. Amy Ellis says

Stopping by from HappyHourFriday, these are just gorgeous!! I never would of thought of plaster dipping anything, thanks for the inspire!! ~ Amy @ StowandTellU

4. GIGI RIOS says

LOVE THIS IDEA I HAVE A PLANE BIG OLE MIRROR AT THE ENTRANCE OF MY HOUSE IN WHICH I WILL TRY THIS TO MAKE IT A LITTLE MORE INTERESTING THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR IDEAS

5. GIGI RIOS says

LOVE THIS IDEA I HAVE A PLAIN BIG OLE MIRROR AT THE ENTRANCE OF MY HOUSE IN WHICH I WILL TRY THIS TO MAKE IT A LITTLE MORE INTERESTING THANKS SO MUCH FOR YOUR IDEAS

6. Nandini Choudhury says

Such an awesome idea! I was going through the net for some fresh ideas with Plaster of Paris and I tumbled into your treasure trove, The flowers look absolutely gorgeous and really easily done with stuff around the house .Thanks for this innovative craft idea and the flowers are simply gorgeous! I was wondering about the container. Can it be reused after dumping the used POP?

Warm Regards
    Nandini Ghosh
    India

7. darlene says

that is one gorgeous wreath … and i need a wreath like that … however, i’m wondering: b/c it’s plaster, if someone, aka the kids, touches it a *bit* harder than it should e touched, will they destroy this majorly awesome piece of artwork???

thanks ….

1. […] These Plaster Dipped Flowers are beautiful and you can add them to lots of different projects (like the one in the picture). You can give it as a gift for someone or keep it for yourself. These flowers are quite easy and fun to make and involves dipping flowers into plaster of  paris (it’s not just for broken bones). Follow the link for the tutorial; http://salttree.net/2013/06/plaster-dip-flowers.html/ […]