I think we’re long overdue for another installment of muffin mania. Ok….maybe not ‘mania’… how about … muffinpalooza? It’s been hectic around here, to put it mildly. The past while has just been crazy. And now that things have calmed for a wee bit, a little indulgent muffination was in order. Fresh strawberries, cocoa and chunks of dark chocolate did just the trick in this not-to-sweet treat.
2 cups fresh, ripe strawberries, chopped
3/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, softened
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1/2 cup cocoa powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup chopped dark chocolate or chocolate chips
1. In a smaller bowl, toss strawberries with 1/4 cup of the sugar and set aside for at least 1/2 hour. The sugar will draw out the juice from the berries.
2. In medium bowl, sift all the dry ingredients (except the chocolate chunks) together. Set aside.
3. In a larger bowl, cream together the butter and remaining sugar until fluffy. Add in eggs, and vanilla and further mix until well blended. Gently stir in strawberries and all the liquid from them.
4. Add all the dry ingredients into the strawberry mixture and stir just until combined. Add in the chocolate chunks and stir just until they are distributed through the batter.
5. Bake in a 425F preheated oven for 15 minutes, in a muffin tray prepared with paper liners. Allow to cool on a rack, dust with powdered sugar, serve.
Done! I couldn’t resist using my heart paper liners. Who says you have to wait for valentines day!
*Tip: If your strawberries didn’t produce a lot of liquid, leaving your batter very stiff, add 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple sauce to the batter to add moisture. This batter is meant to be thicker, but it shouldn’t be so stiff that you cannot get it into the muffin cups!