You got it… this jelly is made with cinnamon hearts, aka, red hots! An incredibly easy recipe, who’s lovely red colour comes entirely from those tiny, humble candies. It’s yummy with a sharp white cheddar and on sweet breads or muffins. Personally, I like it on crumpets. Who knew this zippy candy could be transformed into this pretty jar of nummy-ness!
Now, let’s whip up a batch and share the looove. By the way, I will admit to briefly considering calling it ‘love jelly’. You can understand why that name didn’t stick.
- 4 cups apple juice
- 1/3 cup cinnamon heart candies
- 1 pkg. powdered fruit pectin (1 1/4oz.)
- 4 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- In a large saucepan, combine apple juice, cinnamon hearts and pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, while stirring constantly.
- Stir in sugar and return to a full boil. Boil for 2 minutes again while stirring constantly
- Remove from heat and skim off any foam from the top. Discard any candies that are undissolved.
- Ladle hot mixture into hot, sterilized jars leaving 1/4 inch headspace. Wipe rims and secure lids.
- Process in boiling water canner for 5 minutes.