Green tea. It’s one of my favourite types of ice cream, and I like it even better as frozen yogurt. I can still remember the first time I ever had it at a Sushi house when my husband and I lived in the city. I tried it hesitantly, but was delightfully surprised. It wasn’t like any green tea I’d ever tasted… because it was matcha green tea.
Matcha green tea powder has such a different flavour when used in foods. I’d almost describe it as smooth, rich, and earthy with a subtle sweetness to it at the end. It’s quite delicious in frozen yogurt. It even passed my 4 year old taste test.
Here is my favourite way of making green tea frozen yogurt.
- 4 cups Greek yogurt (with some fat)
- 3/4 cup cane sugar
- 2 Tbsp matcha green tea powder
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl and mix until well blended.
- Freeze in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
- Store in the freezer until it reaches the desired firmness.
If left in the freezer, it will get very hard. Leave on the counter for about 10 minutes before scooping. Alternatively, add a 2 Tbsp of vodka to the mixture before churning in the ice cream maker to impede the freezing slightly.